Sunday 26 January 2014

Bangkok - The Beginning of the End

As the plane crawls to the runway, this is the first time in weeks that I've been able to stop for a moment and really reflect on the changes taking place in my life. Since my last days amongst friends and the emotional uncertainty clouding my goodbyes, I've sprung from the idle security of my Hungarian love nest and packed up my first home to potentially leave London forever. Although the unknown is unnerving and frequent panic attacks distract me from my purpose, I'm undoubtedly excited by the sudden feeling of movement and the relief that my life has seemingly rediscovered some direction. Our enormous Boeing 777 thunders down the runway and nudges me back to the present. You can really feel the weight of the plane and we travel so long down the path that I worry if we'll ever get up.

Twelve hours later I unfold my body and spend another miserable hour at Passport Control wondering how I always manage to pick the slowest queue? Still, my enthusiasm lingers and I step out of the airport to the unfamiliar chaos of Bangkok life. The first thing that strikes me is a flood of warmth, and a smell that sends me hurtling back to my childhood and the carefree holidays spent with my cousins in Singapore. Sweet nostalgia is so wonderfully comforting, and I happily lose myself in it until I'm tidied onto a bus bound for the city. The production assistant sent to greet me wastes no time in proudly declaring that he is in fact from Phuket and supports Newcastle United. He swiftly follows this introduction by asking me what religion I am, and gives nothing away when I tell him that I only go to church once a year to sing carols.

I make it to the hotel in time for my first Bangkok sunset, and after checking in and checkin' out my home for the next few months, I amble into what feels like a music festival only to find that it's actually the much publicised protests. Anyone could be forgiven for this rookie mistake, as the locals peacefully gather in the city centre on blankets with picnics and nationalistic merchandise. The mood is calm and positive as the political speeches are interspersed with performances from pop stars and school bands. The food is insanely good and after a satisfying trawl round the supermarket, I head home to commence battle with jet lag...

Although very fledgling, this experience feels so alien after three years spent filming in my beloved Africa. My emotions stir with the sudden realisation that this is where the closing of an enormous chapter begins. The coming weeks will trickle through an abundance of 'lasts', until there's nothing left but to bid farewell and move into the unknown.



Peaceful protest







3 comments:

  1. I love you. :-|

    please don't end Julia Richmond :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been in that part of the world since the 1960s. When you mentioned the smells many memories came flooding back. I love that part of the world. Many areas are still primitave and unspoiled.
    What ever your future holds, please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful writing

    ReplyDelete